JohnH

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:46:48 -0500, "NOYB" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:28:04 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
news On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:04:52 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

snip
Just before the second round of cutting, after she lied about
"stinging" a little, I stopped her and said, "Let's be honest, this is
going to feel like an ice pick going through the roof of my mouth into
my brain. Why don't you just tell me the truth?"

Her reply was, "Colonel Herring, do you really think I'd have much of
a practice if I told all my patients that?" She did have a point.

snip

Most dentiists will rub a bit of banana flavoured stuff to surface freeze
where the needle pricks. Your people must have enjoyed watching you
twitch.

That stuff, Novocaine(?), just never did much for me. Maybe if I'd
drank a glassful, but they never offered enough.

The topical gel applied before the needle is benzocaine. It helps only a
little bit. The best way to ensure that a shot is painless is to inject
sloooooooooowly. However, there is almost no way to make those shots in
the palate painless. I almost never give 'em...but I don't do perio
surgery. There is a lidocaine transdermal patch that, if applied about 10
minutes before the palatal shot, works pretty well.

BTW--we don't use novocaine anymore. We use lidocaine, mepivacaine,
bupivacaine, articaine, or prilocaine. Articaine works better than any of
them...and bupivacaine lasts the longest.

Actually, the best is sugarcane, converted to 150 proof Bacardi, as
long as the dentist doesn't make any sparks while doing his work!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!