rock_doctor

Default Where to find ramp stories?

"Steve" wrote in message
I don't have specific story but enjoy watching the activities at a

regional
launch ramp.

I spent a total of about 30 days at anchor near this ramp during the

summer.

I think the most entertaining are watching people attempt to get their

boats
on or off their trailers when the tide is out, beyond the end of the paved
ramp..

Was at a ramp eating lunch when these 4 (Very Large) guys came by with a ~17
footer. They tied a rope to the truck and to the front of the trailer.
Unhooked the trailer from the PU and then pushed the trailer/boat to the top
of the ramp. One guy got in started the engine put it in reverse and the
remaining three "shoved" the boat and trailer down the ramp. When the rope
caught, the boat hit the water, they guy in it gunned it in reverse and away
he went... The three guys pulled the trailer up the ramp, hooked it to the
truck and parked everything. They then ran down jetty next to the ramp and
jumped into the water. They swam to the boat and off they went fishing.
The moral of this story, well when you are launching a 17 foot boat in 10
foot high waves on the west coast of Hawai'i you have got to be creative and
*very fast*... My research professor was sitting there next to me with his
mouth open shaking his head.

true story..

mark