Dave Hall

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:16:23 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 07:32:53 -0500, Eisboch wrote:
Next came the IBM compatible model prior to the
release of the 286. I have forgotten what it's nomenclature was - 8106
or 8196 or something like that. It could actually run the first flight
simulator program - the airplane was a little cross flying over a basic
map of the US.

==========================

My recollection is that the first IBM PC used an 8088 chip. The basic
model came with 2 floppy drives and was known as the IBM/PC. The
upscale version had the same chip but included a 5 meg hard disk,
later upgraded to 10 meg if my memory is correct. It was known as the
XT. Several years later the 16 bit 8286 chip came along and was
called the AT. All of the early PCs were dog slow by today's
standards but they were pretty cool at the time and totally changed
the landscape in most offices.

You know, those older AT style computers were not that slow when
running the applications of the time. It's funny just how much faster
our CPU processing speed has become, while paradoxically the overhead
of the typical inflated application has proportionately slowed us
right back down again.....

Dave