John S

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 11:42:13 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:34:07 -0500, Eisboch wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

1200 baud, indeed. I was one of the poor kids on the block using the
300 baud acoustical modem.

Honey, don't pick up the phone, ok??? Oh, sh*t.... not again....

I had 1200 baud capability because I sprung for the latest and greatest
CPU - a brand new shiny I-286 running Geoworks. (The original "windows"
based software, before Microsoft came along)

My very first computer was an Altair 8800 which the old S-100 bus.
Later on I got a paper tape reader for it - KEWL!!!! Technically, I
suppose the VERY VERY first computer I actually had was a logical
switching circuit I built using transistors and diodes. :)

My first "real" computer was a VIC-20. Now that was really cool -
had a tape recorder for data/program storage and everything!!! Then
it was a secession of Apples, the first really basic BBS I ran using
my first XT with a 20 Mb drive and a 300 baud modem, up to a Spitfire
BBS in the CT PC BBS system which connected through Yale University
(through a three node hop) to ARPA net at a blazing 2400 baud,
eventually becoming the Internet at a blazing 9600 baud, then three of
us local types invested in direct line to UCONN's Internet server
eventually selling that company and...

Oh my god, my life is flashing before my eyes!!!!! :)

I have never "owned" a Mac. As in the political stuff around here, I
was at odds with the rest of the family, I was a die hard PC man from
the git-go. My wife and kids all had Macs though. Still do.

Damn school system.

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Mine was a home built single board kit that I bought at a hamfest. Then I
really moved up to a Radio Shack TRS80. I ran up some huge phone bills
downloading programs from the University of Michigan at 300 baud.

Back then, I considered it a hobby. Today it is my career.

Regards
John S

I would rather be boating!