Mr Wizzard

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jelle" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

had twin E-tecs. I guess that $5 / gallon gas gives an incentive to
conserve.

The question I've always had is, just *why* is it that
gas is $5/gallon over there? Why do Europeans
accept that? Or is it that their passivism just lends
themselves to accepting any/everything that comes
down the pike over there.

Sure it does, but if your are showing off your silly ritches with a big
outboard, why skimp on the fuel? Wasn't the point that you show off you

are
able to waste money?

I would think so, yeah. Hell, at least once a week I
get out on the lake to do nothing but burn gas, get a
beer-buzz on, and just zone out get mesmerized by
the constant drone of my motor - that just has value
to me, its just therapy to me, it really is.

The emission regulations in the EU make it pretty hard to produce a
two-stroke that complies with them. That is the reason you see so many
four-strokes. The two strokes you see are old(er) or have a special fuel
injection(that is environment friendlier too).

Bummer. I would think that if you ran the 2-stoke
hotter, and leaner, and with the right timing advance,
that you have a more complete burn with emissions
not far behind a 4-stroke, and not have the 4-stroke
crankcase oil to dispose of which may not always
hand up in the right recycle place, and hand up finding
itself in the ground, sewers, water, etc. But who knows.
8 Oz of oil in 3 gallons of gasoline (worse case) just
isn't a lot of oil. And if you are doing the Amsoil
thing at 100:1 you're at like 4 Oz oil for 3 Gal.

--
vriendelijke groeten/kind regards,

Jelle

Then they have changed the emission regs in the last few years. In the

80's
when I had an office in Woking, the guys who came over here were impressed
with the performance of the emission controlled cars. A lot less emission
controls then in your part of the world. And I would expect the older 2
strokes to be grandfathered in. And most of the 4 strokes were on small,
maybe 5 meter fishing boats.