Steve

Default Revised COLREGS bell requirements

Some of these surveyors, I believe, are on the insurance co. 'short list' or
referral list. I suspect that looking into all of the safety equipment gives
the surveyor a feel for the skippers attitude towards safety /condtion of
the vessel.

I usually make every effort to have all the gear laid out so he doesn't have
to waste any time on it.. Time saved while waiting for me to find a safety
item is time you could use to check for some truly significant items. Plus,
it just demonstrates my interest and concern about these matters.

The last surveyor I use is a semi retired merchant master and also served in
the USCG. I'm not afraid of what he might find on my boat, but when he ask
about a bell, I reminded him that my boat was under the required length
requiring a bell. I think the only reason he ask was because he normal does
larger and commercial vessels.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions