Peter Wiley

In article , Thom
Stewart wrote:

Oz,

Our system differs from your's in that we directly vote for all our
representative. The President & Vice president, all the member of the
Senate (our upper house), representative to the House of Congress
(our lower house) Governors and other local officials, and local laws.

Hmmm. We vote for a local representative based on population. We vote
for candidates running for the Senate, elected 'at large' for each
State & territory. We elect local council members and state govt reps,
both lower & upper houses in most states.

None of our reps are appointed. You vote for a party, the after the
election a party leader is selected to form government (Prime Minister)

No we don't vote for a party at all. We vote for individuals who may be
members of a party - usually are. Exactly the same as your guys being a
Dem or a Rep. The elected members choose the Prime Minister.

Our system is more complicated but is more democratic.

No it's about the same, you just don't understand how our system works.

Also you don't really vote for a President - well you do, but the
electoral college actually selects him. He's not directly elected. This
isn't much if any different from how our system works in practice.
Think about it.

PDW