Thom Stewart

Oz,

Our system differs from your's in that we directly vote for all our
representative. The President & Vice president, all the member of the
Senate (our upper house), representative to the House of Congress
(our lower house) Governors and other local officials, and local laws.

None of our reps are appointed. You vote for a party, the after the
election a party leader is selected to form government (Prime Minister)

Our system is more complicated but is more democratic. We also have a
time limit when or officials most face elections

Hope this helps you to understnd our system. I have a naturalize
american/ dutch friend and haven't been able to make him understand.
YET!

Ole Thom