Geoff Schultz

Horace Brownbag wrote in
:

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:25:28 +1100, "John Murfet"
wrote:

Evan Gatehouse wrote in message

"John Murfet" wrote in message
I'm planning on finding a used 38' boat in the USA east coast,

outfitting,
then sailing on to Europe. My questions are : how much visa time
would I
be
allowed (I'm an Australian citizen),

snip

I'm still surprised at the number of people I encounter who are "out
of status" on their visas....two, three years on a 90 day visa.

Being Australian, and not needing a visa, except if you do not meeting
certain condition, such as having a secured passage back home, or at
least off the North American continent, you would have only 90 days...

Since you would be leaving on the freshly re-fitted boat, you would
need a visa because you've not proof of passage on a secured carrier.

While you could hide, quite successfully, I'd hate to think what would
happen with being out of status and trying to get your zarpe for the
next port.

Being an American citizen I've never needed a zarpe from the US to
anywhere. Does the US issue zarpe like documents when a foreign vessel
departs the US for a foreign country?

Also, virtually no one has ever looked at my passport exit stamps from
the previous country when entering a new country. Then again, my
passport is so full of stamps that finding the correct stamp would
require a lot of effort.

-- Geoff