Donal

"tom" wrote in message
om...

I don't mean to flog a dead horse, so I'll close this with a thank
you, but
I was looking for action/s which would either prevent a knockdown at
the time circumstances are causing such; or if knocked down: action/s
which can limit the severity of the knockdown.

I think that it is very difficult for many people to give sensible advice
because we sail very different boats.

For example, I cannot imagine what it is like to sail a boat(other than a
small dinghy) that doesn't use a winch for the jib sheet.

Obviously, there are a
number of things we could have done to prevent a knockdown, such as
reefing the main more and furling the jib before we went out on the
water; however, that's hindsight.

You may have answered your own question.

A few weeks ago we set out with the genoa completely furled. The wind was
blowing at 25 - 30 kts - on the nose, and I felt that it might be more out
on the water. I decided that a 3/4's furled jib would be next to useless
in such conditions - so we left it completely furled up. After we had
endured 40+Kts for 5 minutes, I was glad that the genoa was completely
furled.

Prior to the knockdown we both were
of the opinion that releasing/easing the main and jib sheets was
sufficient action to largely control heeling. We are probably right in
our assumption; however, such is qualified by the fact that it seems
almost impossible to uncleat the jib sheet from the high side when a
knockdown occurs, and it still isn't easy when one grasps the sheet
mere inches from the cleating mechanism.

Without knowing the layout of your boat, it is difficult to form an opinion.
I am still unable to picture a scenario where a sheet would be restrained by
a winch and a cam-cleat. I think that you either took your boat beyond its
design limits, or you should have had the sheet wrapped around a winch.

Once again, thanks to all who offered an opinion.

Back to intermittent lurk status

Please don't lurk! This is a sailing ng - we need sailing questions!!!!

Thanks

Donal