Doug Kanter

Default O/T 'Canned hunting' on CNN

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

news:0Nwyb.2817
I disagree, but based only on being very familiar with the way some

REAL
hunters hunt. My former neighbor's dad has about 1000 acres an hour

south of
Rochester.

Avoca, Bath area?

East Bloomfield, around routes 5 & 20.

Ah, I know the area, somewhat. I used to live in Avoca, if you know
where that is.

Yeah. Travelling between Rochester & Corning, I've always intended to stop
and spend some time fishing the Cohocton. But, I never seem to have time.
I'm addicted to the Chemung. :-)

I lived on Neil's Creek, a nice trout stream. Was funny
to watch on April 1st as the city boys invaded in there brand new
Orvis gear, thousand dollar fly rods, etc. I knew every fish holding
hole in the creek, and would come out, poor farm boy, with my Mitchell
300 that was older than I was, and start pulling fish! They'd even try
to BUY fish from me!

We see them here, too, mostly on Oatka Creek near Scottsville. They all
Trout Unlimited members, and they like to give speeches about how flies hurt
trout less than a Mepps with a treble hook. Never mind that the fish never
swallow my lures because I change the hooks to larger ones just for trout,
and that I can unhook a fish and put it back in under 10 seconds, while
they're doing surgery for 5 minutes with their Orvis wonder tool. :-)

The Brooklyn hunters who infect the Catskills are quite a crew, too. All
amateurs. When I was in college, my roommate and I were sitting in the
Roscoe Diner when a NYS trooper walked in and sat down a few stools

away. We
were hoping that the neon "We Are Stoned" signs on our foreheads weren't
noticeable. There were a bunch of hunters in the parking lot admiring

each
others' new guns, new orange vests, etc. Suddenly....BLAM! One of the

idiots
shot out the windshield of the trooper's car. Poor cop shook his head,

says
to the waitress "Oh no....they're back", and goes outside & starts
collecting guns and taking names.

Around here, at least 2-3 hunters are killed each year, either with

their
own guns, falling out of tree stands, or due to the stupidity of their
hunting partners. My former landlord was shot in the leg with an arror

by
another hunter. He was in a tree stand on totally flat land, wearing

blaze
orange. I guess he looked like one of them thar tree deer. :-)

We used to hate it when they invaded our local bar, we were just
country boys, and for various reasons, some legal, we wanted to be
left alone. They drew cops around us, and generally raised hell, which
was OUR vocation!

I always sorta wonder about some of those local joints out in the farmlands.
:-)