Wally

tom wrote:

Did he do the right thing? Or should something else have been done?

I guess the answer is that the jibsheet should have been released sooner.
Maybe the helm should be looking after the mainsheet as well as the tiller?

I crew on a 22.5-footer, and the helm handles mainsheet and tiller. If we're
short-handed while out in a blow, I lead the free end of the cleated
jibsheet (goes from coaming, to coachroof winch, down to a clamcleat on the
bulkhead) over to the high side and drape it round the other winch. If
things go pear-shaped, I can dump air from the jib without having to move
around the boat.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com