Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:56:54 -0700, "RG" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. com...
I just purchased the Northstar 952 and, to date, am impressed.
However, I am trying to determine how to transfer all of my GPS
coordinates I have saved over the years of fish habitat and other
points I want to keep. Of course, I could manually do it but there
are hundreds.

Does anyone know whether there is an application that will allow me to
upload my coordinates off of the Garmin and then download to the
Northstar? I know Garmin has software/hardware to upload but I am
stuck on how to get it downloaded to the Northstar.

If you have Garmin's MapSource software, this will allow you to upload your
waypoint data into a Garmin proprietary file format on your computer. That
software will then allow you to export the data to a tab-delimited ASCII
file. The question now becomes whether Northstar has software that will
software will import the tab-delimited file and then download the data to
the GPS unit, to which I have no answer.

I tried that by building a translator program, but I had a devil of a
time of it.

Garmin does some kind of weird compression scheme which strips
adjacent data in ASCII format. Or at least that's what I think is
going on - may not be.

Later,

Tom
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653