Tom Hunter

Epiphanes makes a semi gloss but if he used it he would likely remember. Its
going to be difficult to match the look given that the old varnish has been
curing for quite some time.

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Greetings all

Can anyone give any suggestions to help identify what kind of varnish
I might have on a used I boat I bought recently?

I bought a used 34' O'Day several months ago. The previous owner did
a nice job with the interior varnish, which looks like a semi-gloss of
some sort. It has some sheen to it, but it's not a high gloss.

Recently, I put some scratches in the finish. I first tried regular
ZSpar Captain's, which was much glossier than what was on there. I
then tried Interlux Goldspar satin. That was significantly duller
than the current finish. I called the guy I bought the boat from, and
he said he used a semi-gloss varnish. Definitely a varnish, not Cetol
or some other synthetic. He originally said it was Captain's
semi-gloss, but then said perhaps satin, and maybe not Captain's - he
wasn't sure.

Can anyone provide any suggestions as to what brand/sheen of varnish
this could be (or might match)? None of the local boat stores seem to
know anything about any semi-gloss varnishes. I'd prefer not to have
to re-finish the entire interior over a couple of scratches, but I
want my touch-up spots to match.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike P.
Tampa, FL