Keith

They actually board tankers to rob the crew and steal the tv's radios, etc.
Just because the thugs are on water, they call them pirates, vs. robbers on
land. Somehow it brings to mind those movie images.

--

Keith
__
"Falky foo" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the info. Interestingly, all those maps show the vast majority
of piracy to be concentrated in the equatorial regions and close to land.
When I imagine pirates I think of guys on a tall ship at sea with black
sails and jolly rogers and eye patches with knives held in their teeth,
but
I guess most pirates aren't like that anymore. Seems like they make runs
on
small speedboats, and out in the Pacific on a cuise to Hawaii or wherever
the chances of running into any are nil.

"rhys" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:56:12 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

Just getting into the cruising lifestyle.. saw a lame post here about

piracy
on the sea, but it did bring to mind some stories I've heard about

problems
people have had, especially in Mexico. My questions a

Is piracy a problem at all really? Or only in certain areas and only
rarely?

Check out http://www.noonsite.com/General/Piracy and
http://www.yachtpiracy.com/en/index.htm

Good sources for current info. Judge for yourself. Mexico may be
rough, but there's plenty rougher.

R.