Mike

Default Please help: What kind of varnish do I have?

Greetings all

Can anyone give any suggestions to help identify what kind of varnish
I might have on a used I boat I bought recently?

I bought a used 34' O'Day several months ago. The previous owner did
a nice job with the interior varnish, which looks like a semi-gloss of
some sort. It has some sheen to it, but it's not a high gloss.

Recently, I put some scratches in the finish. I first tried regular
ZSpar Captain's, which was much glossier than what was on there. I
then tried Interlux Goldspar satin. That was significantly duller
than the current finish. I called the guy I bought the boat from, and
he said he used a semi-gloss varnish. Definitely a varnish, not Cetol
or some other synthetic. He originally said it was Captain's
semi-gloss, but then said perhaps satin, and maybe not Captain's - he
wasn't sure.

Can anyone provide any suggestions as to what brand/sheen of varnish
this could be (or might match)? None of the local boat stores seem to
know anything about any semi-gloss varnishes. I'd prefer not to have
to re-finish the entire interior over a couple of scratches, but I
want my touch-up spots to match.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike P.
Tampa, FL