Peter Clinch

Allan Bennett wrote:

Not sure that I agree with you on this point - good forwards paddling
technique is what supports paddler and boat and

and good forward paddling technique is employed 100% of the time in a
racing context, but people out for gentle tours who might want to stop
and look at the wildlife or take an easy snack or sun-cream break will
quite often be pausing. In the case of the sun cream break not even
holding the paddle.

in open-cockpit boats, the
hips are not used for support or boat control. With support in the water
from the blade, the effective boat-width is the same for wide or narrow boats

Ah, but see above. My perspective on how one spends time in a cockpit
on a fairly gentle tour for a novice paddler is probably nearer the OP's
than yours. We're not all experts at forward paddling who apply that
expertise 100% of the time in the boat.

Obviously proper paddling techniques don't transfer to closed-cockpit boats
:-)

It does when one is paddling, but when I'm looking at the sea otters and
puffins, or consulting a chart, or undoing a pocket to get a snack out
then I'll freely admit it isn't up to much!

Pete.
a fan of stopping to enjoy the scenery.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK