Jude Douglas

Default Glass

I sure hope I don’t get a war of words going, but I would like get some
recommendations on which sheet material to use for our sliding main
hatch: polyacrylate (Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, Perspex, etc.) or
polycarbonate (Lexan). I know Lexan scratches easily but it is very
impact resistant (falling winch handles or a whipping snap shackle). I
know Plexiglas is a bit cheaper than Lexan but it is not a concern for
such a small size of project. To reduce temperature expansion stresses
and drilling difficulties, I plan to just use a flat sheet with a
squishy bedding (silicone?) and a sort-of loose oak frame with a
retaining bracket.
Can anyone offer some suggestions as to which is a better choice
material?

Jude and Randall