Maynard G. Krebbs

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:03:34 -0400, DSK wrote:

It may be that I don't understand what they're saying, but I don't see
how this is relevant to the Michelson-Morley experiments.

Gilligan wrote:
The null of the MM experiment could be explained by two things: that there
is no ether or that there is ether and it is dragged by the earth in
rotation and translation.

As I understand it, the MM experiment was using the speed of light in
different axis to see if light was a wave propagated in a physical
medium, the ether (often sp "aether" to distinguish it from a flammable
intoxicant). It looks like this new experiment is using the physical
location of satellites and to see if they are displaced in ways
unexplainable by Newtonian physics.

The tangential velocity at the poles is zero, it is about 300 m/sec at the
equator. This is precisely what that new satellite launched will attempt to
measure using precision gyroscopes. You might want to look up the
Lens-Thirring effect.

Just did. Cool! I wonder why nobody thought of this before... it would
seem that otherwise, radios would have greater range east-to-west than
west-to-east....

It may be that the universe we think we see is all smoke & mirrors!

It's the current underlying "philosophy" (or lack of) in Physics that's all
smoke and mirrors.

Of course it is . Most of Bobsprit's posts prove that!

DSK

Kool. Does this mean that E. E. "Doc" Smith was right after all?
Mark E. Williams