Gilligan

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Gilligan wrote:
http://www.voanews.com/english/2004-10-21-voa131.cfm

Now we know why Michelson-Morley showed a nulled. The ether is rotated

with
the earth! The North and South poles are the only inertial reference

frames!

It may be that I don't understand what they're saying, but I don't see
how this is relevant to the Michelson-Morley experiments.

The null of the MM experiment could be explained by two things: that there
is no ether or that there is ether and it is dragged by the earth in
rotation and translation.

And if the
rotating mass of the Earth affects the gravity felt by nearby objects,
then it would be affected at the poles too, wouldn't it... axially
rather than radially?

The tangential velocity at the poles is zero, it is about 300 m/sec at the
equator. This is precisely what that new satellite launched will attempt to
measure using precision gyroscopes. You might want to look up the
Lens-Thirring effect.

Anyway it would be interesting to repeat the Michelson-Morley experiment
in several different intertial reference frames, say at the center of
mass of the galaxy and again in intergalactic space.

Check out the Michelson-Gale experiment. They detected a fringe shift
proportional to latitude (just as clocks change rate with latitude).

It may be that the universe we think we see is all smoke & mirrors!

It's the current underlying "philosophy" (or lack of) in Physics that's all
smoke and mirrors.

DSK