Woodchuck

Default Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat.

How fast is your boat?

"Chester" wrote in message
m...
I bought a 16 ft Chrysler speedboat with a 140 HP Johnson outboard. I
towed it home about 120 miles and started to look things over more
closely and discovered that one of the bolts holding the main trailer
structure together was missing. So it is obvious the trailer needs a
proper going over.

There are two rows of six those little black rubber "wobbling" wheels
and three black rubber rollers up the middle. My first question is
how much of the load are those little black wheels supposed to support
, are they just for stability and not for carrying much load?

Second question is where should the wobbling wheels contact the hull
? I assume the level spots between the chines ? Would it be best to
have the wheels contact the outermost level spots for the widest
possible distance between the banks of wheels ?

Those center rubber supports, do they all share the load equally ?
How do you set them up in concert with everything else so that things
all work out together ? Are there any little tricks to do this right ?

How should I level the boat to sit on the trailer for towing ? The
low trailer tounge height behind my van keeps the trailer angled
downward in the front so should I offset this by adjusting the trailer
to raise the bow of the boat so the boat sits level relative to the
ground?

The prop sits too low to the ground so the motor has to be tilted
while towing. Do you recommend using some kind of support from the
lower end to the trailer ?

Also when I leave the boat on the trailer in the backyard is it
beneficial to lower the motor and let it rest on a board to take some
of the weight off the transom and / or hull on the trailer (
engineering is not my speciality so I don't have a clue if that would
really make any difference or not) ?

This little boat " ROCKS " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks for any help and any little tricks to help me set up my towing
for safety and to minimize the wear and tear on the boat.