engsol

Steve,
I found a "surplus" SeaDog panel at our local marine used
equipment store. I liked the layout and size, but was less than
thrilled with the price and quality.
Being an electronics type, I'll have to make this a project, and
build my own I guess...just have to recall the phone number of the outfit
that can make the raw panel using laser machining.
NormB

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:34:58 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I found that the Marinetics panels were of very high quality and used this
for both the AC and DC panels. I will admit that they are very expensive
(around $2000 each, new) however, I picked up both used from a Shannon 50
refit for $200..

When I found some cosmetic problems, (paint over spray on the meter faces),
the people at Marinetics were very helpful in sending me replacement meter
faces at a very nominal cost.

On the opposite extreme, while assisting a friend rebuild an AC/DC panel, we
order a simple SeaDog unit.. The quality was so bad that I called SeaDog
about it and there attitude was, you get what you pay for. These panel are
made up 'offshore' and they admit that they have no control over the quality
of the components.

I ended up rewiring the intire panel to eliminate the very cheap spade
connectors and low quality automotive class electrical wiring.. In some
instantaces the switches and component ratings were less than the circuit
breaker current rating, etc.

I don't recommend purchase of a prewired panel unless they use marine
quality connectors, wire, etc. (Frankly, I kinda enjoy doing the back panel
wiring).

Bottom line, Just as the guy at SeaDog said "You get what you pay for!!"

Steve
s/v Good Intentions