Brian Nystrom

lupi wrote:

I heard Dacron stretched with a hair dryer then painted with shelac
over a lightweight skeleton was the latest craze. They look so cool on
top of the Ken and Barbiemobile. You can see right through it. Une
objet dart and all. I have no reports on durability. Isn't there a
Kayak or expeditioning group on line? Keep paddling and good luck.

Polyester fabrics (Dacron is just a Dupont trade name for polyester
fabric) come in a variety of weights with widely varying shrinkage
characteristics. What you're referring to is probably "aircraft Dacron",
which is also available under the Ceonite brand. It's a very light
fabric (2.4 - 3.7 oz./yard) that's designed for aircraft wings and which
heat shrinks well. It's too light to produce a durable kayak. Typical
polyester kayak skin fabrics range from 9 to 16 ounces. Most do not heat
shrink to any appreciable degree, certainly not to the degee that
aircraft dacron does. Dynel is also polyester. I'm not sure of the exact
weight, but the material is similar to polyester T-shirt material.