265936

(1) Financially. Did you keep your home bank acct or
are ther special ones for sailors on the move. Where
did you have regular mail sent?

Whether to keep your bank depends on some things. If it is a major bank
with branches everywhere that may be a benefit. On the other hand, if
it is a small, local bank (like the one I use) owned by a family where
people work for generations and relationships build and last, where
decisions are made by the person you know and not by some standard
written in a corporate office eight states away to whom you are just
databits, that could be very helpful when you call from East Bumfuque
and need them to do something for you - especially if needed to based on
your voice authorization.

Most banks now offer online banking. So with your laptop (you should
have one!) you can log in and get statements, pay bills and the like.
There are mail collection and forwarding services created by and for
cruisers. You can find info in the ads in the back of cruising
magazines.
Did you move all investments to safe ones such as
mutual funds? Or did you keep money in stocks and
equities and just not worry abt them while gone?

Depends on your investments. Have you a broker or counselor? I prefer
stocks that grow over time. I'm not into regular trading - especially
not fast trades.

(2) Possessions. Did you see EVRYTHING you owned when
land lubbers? Or did you sell the bulk of it and put
rest in storage and then have monthly storage bill?

It is a good thing to take this opportunity to divest yourself of those
things that are not truly invaluable to you. It is almost always cheaper
to buy new furniture and such when you get back than to pay to store it.
Besides, your tastes might change due to your experience. I wrote a list
of things I absolutely wanted to keep. These were very nice family
heirlooms and paintings, 3 pieces of furniture. Volume only enough to
fill a small bedroom. I love books but have 9/10ths of them going up for
sale on half.com shortly.

Certainly don't store your tv's! They'll be obsolete by the time you get
back.
Also.... did you try and buy possessions that are
portable and easily packed and moved?

Not really.