DSK

Well, I've done it on a couple of times on a ~40 footer... didn't work
perfectly every time but worked better than some other methods I tried.

Nav wrote:
Must have been (very) light airs

Why? Did it several times in 12 ~ 15 knots which isn't heavy weather but
not what I call light either. Really light air is a PITA for the
spinnaker, it just hangs all over everything and snags every two
minutes. As conditions build, footing gets to be a bigger problem.

Perhaps you're forgetting that when a boat is going downwind, it's speed
subtracts from the apparent wind. Keep the boat moving well, things will
go easier

... -single handed windward drop on a 40'
boat with no pole attached -that I'd like to see!

It was more fun to do than watch. A spinnaker ddrop is always a little
bit hectic.

DSK