Allan Bennett

In article outboats.com,
Jayno55 URL:mailto
I am a few weeks into Kayaking and want to buy my own Kayak. I am not very
interested in white water stuff. I see myself lazing or touring on canals,
steady rivers, lakes & lochs, estauries and calm-ish coastlines. I am 57,
5'8", about 130 lbs and affected by arthritis in all joints. I have maybe
a quarter of the strength of a normally fit person, but I have good
balance and usually do very well on activities that require hand-eye
co-ordination and other skills/techniques. I therefore want a lighter,
comfortable boat, that I can paddle easily at speed or gliding along. I
want to kayak partly FOR fitness. I like smart/classic looking, high tech,
high performance, high quality things that are also still high on
comfort/convenience aspects (think easy cockpit access/egress and good
seat design/adjustability) and manageable for someone as physically
limited as me. I have scoured the Kayak websites and would like advice on
what to go for? For now, I have narrowed my choice down to the P & H Vela
or the Prijon Catalina. I know these are different propositions. That's
the point. Could any of you look at my needs/brief and appraise me of the
respective merits of these two kayaks in meeting them, or would you
suggest something else, and if so why? Thankyou all, in anticipation :-)

I might be slightly biased, but I think the best boat for you is the Cirrus -
a stable, sleek fast tourer (some would call it a stable racer). It's
pedigree and suitability is shown by the fact that it has been used to set a
cross-Channel record, and some spectacular performances on the Devizes to
Westminster Challenge (which includes the notorious Thames Tideway section).

Comfort? Certainly. With EZ-adjust footrest and seat.

Easy access / egress? Certainly, it has a racing cockpit.

Manoeuvrability? Absolutely, it has a rudder.

Weight? 12-13Kg or lighter with vac-bagged construction.

Let me know where you are based and I will try to put you in contact with a
current owner for trials etc.

advert over

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of misinformed choices