Thom Stewart

gf,

Most of what has been posted here isn't really suit to short handed
Chute work.

I've flown mine single hander for years. Not to win races but to get
drive as the wind gets lighter. I have mine in a sleeve (or Sock) now
and it does make it easier BUT I did it often before the "Sock"

Before the Sock, I used rubber bands to make a Sausage. I cut the bottom
out of a plastic bucket and put cheap rubber bands around the out side.
Then I started the chute thru the bucket, head first. about every five
to six feet I'd slip a rubber band off around the spinnaker. I'd do this
until I got down near the foot of the sail and leave enough to hook the
tack and the sheet corner. Then I would bag it like a turtle (A real
turtle is great but not necessary) You just have to have the three
corner accessible.

Now, to fly it. Get on a run and work in the shadow of the Main. Hook
the halyard to the peak, the tack to the pole and the sheet to the Clew
(Very loosely, no tension. Hoist the Chute. Stay in the wind shadow of
the main, You should be able to get it up still wrapped tight. Now, you
can start tensioning your guy to the wind. The pole should be 90 digress
to the wind, take up on your sheet and as the wind get the sail the
rubber bands will pop and you're off the the races,

To take it Down, I would drop back into a full run, shadowing the Chute
and ease the halyard until the sail goes limp by easing the guy. Open
the foreward hatch . Ease the sheet, unclip the tack and the stuff the
whole damn thing into the V-berth easing the halyard and the sheet

Before you bag it, get your plastic bucket and give it the rubber band
treatment again

Ole Thom