DSK

Mark wrote:
I'll be sailing primarily on a large reservoir nearby. Trailerable
would be a big plus, obviously, but there are two or three marinas
where I could keep it in the water on an ongoing basis. There's also
a yacht club with a yard where I could bring it out at the end of each
sail.

2 or 3 marinas plus a sailing club with a lift? Sounds like a pretty big
lake all right...

I have actually just spoken with another friend who (I just found out)
bought a 42' trimaran in the Gulf area, has brought it up the TimTom
waterway and is now beginning the long process of refitting it in dry
dock. It's basically gutted inside, but he has put a new motor in it
already.

I'm going to put some sweat equity into helping him fix it up so I get
to sail on it when he takes it back down to the Gulf. He has sailed
to the Bahamas a number of times himself, so he's someone I guess I
could learn a lot from (I learned all this between yesterday and
today!)

Sounds like a good plan, especially for winter. Part of learning about
boats is learning how to work on them. I assume the "fixing it up" is
going to include some fiberglass work, a very good skill to have....
just remember to take precautions because sanding dust, resin fumes, etc
etc, are not natural and can cause long term harm to the body. A lot of
people don't like to "waste" time or money on protective measures but it
should be considered part of doing the job.

One of the great things about sailing is that there is always more to learn.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King