Mark

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
"Mark" wrote ...

1) For someone with my limited level of expertise, what would you

all
think is an appropriate "first boat"? I'm attracted to the idea of
one with a cabin and at least a little bunk space for the occasional
opportunity to spend a weekend on the water with the wife or a

couple
kids.

Where will you be sailing? You want a trailerable? Newbies should
stay under 30'.

I'll be sailing primarily on a large reservoir nearby. Trailerable
would be a big plus, obviously, but there are two or three marinas
where I could keep it in the water on an ongoing basis. There's also
a yacht club with a yard where I could bring it out at the end of each
sail.

2) Aside from OJT, what are some good resources for someone who

wants
to learn more about the mechanics of sailing

your friend with the sloop? Hang at the local marina and bum some
rides.

I have actually just spoken with another friend who (I just found out)
bought a 42' trimaran in the Gulf area, has brought it up the TimTom
waterway and is now beginning the long process of refitting it in dry
dock. It's basically gutted inside, but he has put a new motor in it
already.

I'm going to put some sweat equity into helping him fix it up so I get
to sail on it when he takes it back down to the Gulf. He has sailed
to the Bahamas a number of times himself, so he's someone I guess I
could learn a lot from (I learned all this between yesterday and
today!)

Thanks for your reply.