Charlie

Just to let you know, I have similar concerns to yourself. I have problems
with my knees (OCD arthritis) and also with the same problem spreading to my
hips. To top it off I'm a 5ft tall 19 year old girl who (although I'm
cardiacly fit) lacks strength. I wanted something playful to take on the
beautiful sea in Aberystwyth where I live but also to run down rivers. I
chose an I:3 by Pyrahna. My main reason for choosing this one was that it
fitted me well. I went down to Eddy Lines in Llangollen and literally asked
them what they had in stock! I sat in a few daggers and a few others, but
the pyrahna was the one with the comfy outfitting. The seat is like sitting
in an armchair! Coupled with the hip pads and the thigh rests (which on me
are virtually knee rests) it's dead comfy.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. What I meant was, while you are still doing
research why not give a good shop a ring and ask what they have in stock.
If they have a few you think that you may be interested in then go down one
Sunday and just sit in them. It really helped me, and I've only been doing
this lark for about 5 months! The only thing I would say, is that you may
want to wait till a few more months have passed before buying it. It IS a
fair bit of money in the grand scheme of things, and I'm defiantly
regretting my choice. Mostly because they've just bought out the I:4 which
is apparently a billion times more comfy and stable! In retrospect I would
probably go for less of a play boat, but there you go! Right, I'm rambling
again.

I think before narrowing it down to two choices you should paddle with a
club and try out every type of boat they have. Then try out the members
boats. Then try out the ones you liked again. Then look at some specs and
phone the shops.

Don't forget, this is newbie advice from someone who is a newbie herself!
It's my thoughts from buying my own boat.

Charlie.

P.S. Don't forget storage space and gadgets to get in onto the roof of a
car! Factor it into the selling price!

"Jayno55" wrote in message
lkaboutboats.com...
Thankyou Charlie and Peter,

Of course you are both correct that I need to sit in some possible kayaks
to see how they work for me. I intend to do just that, but I wanted to use
other criteria - and opinions/feedback from people like yourselves - to
narrow down my choices before I made arrangements with manufacturers or
retailers to both sit in and try out such kayaks. This will involve travel
and diary commitments.

To respond to Peter's point specifically, I picked out the Vela and the
Cat for their modest length (I want good tracking on the water, but also
maneouvrability in confined waters like canals etc and manageability for
dry carrying/loading) and size (advertised as suitable for smaller/lighter
paddlers, still sitting low in the water with a light paddler etc).
Obviously I also saw these two kayaks as able to bridge inland touring use
with some seagoing use. I liked their looks and what I have read elsewhere
about their quality. I also thought they were different enough in
construction materials used, form design and features, and rudder vs skeg
etc., to offer an axis for discussion on their relative merits.
Interesting you came back with a suggestion of Valley's Avocet - that is
probably the third kayak I would have included if I had written a longer
post.

I see Peter that you are involved in medical work: it was pleasing to see
your interest in the comfort/ergonomic needs thrown up by my
'differentabilities'. Working these things out on my own can feel like a
rather lonely pursuit. On the same line, I have recently bought Rocky
Snyder's excellent book 'Fit to Paddle: the paddler's guide to strength
and conditioning' but he writes for normally healthy folk, so I am still
going to have to see a Physiotherapist or something to get help with the
physical issues associated with arthritis and kayaking!

I'm still keen on learning from the comments of either of you two or any
other reader, so please keep 'em coming.