John Cairns

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I've been freshwater sailing half a dozen times (Lake Michigan and
smaller reservoirs), and every time I go, I get a step closer to
wanting a sailboat.

A friend has a 21' sloop (don't know the make) at a fair-sized
reservoir nearby, and we've been out on it several times, always had
fun. I have learned what I think are the basics about tacking,
jybing, reaching, etc. I believe I can safely handle a small
sailboat.

Here are some questions, and I thank you in advance for tolerating all
this newbie crap:

3) As far as more advanced learning goes, what do you all think about
these sailing courses offered out of places like Florida. On the
internet, I've read about these week-long trips that leave Miami, sail
out to and around the Bahamas and back, purportedly to teach open
water sailing techniques. Has anyone here done this, and is it worth
it?

That's about it for now, but I'm sure I'll be back with even more
questions. Thanks for your help.

Mark

They might be a little advanced, but the "North U" book on sail trim is very
good. If you have someone willing to take you sailing, I wouldn't bother
taking lessons. You might consider the offshore training, will give you an
idea if that's the sort of sailing you might consider doing in the future,
without the expense of a boat purchase. If that sort of thing does interest
you you will be hooked, gaffed, landed, fileted and cooked for a meal
http://community.webshots.com/album/27256327hQBcZyRwQg
http://community.webshots.com/album/64719136UJnEWv
http://community.webshots.com/album/99268720rZrPdF
http://community.webshots.com/album/129572627BLfVvi