Thom Stewart

Jon,

Not thinking to well. If there is that much line on the handle the Main
must be up. If it is up, probably means your sailing. (No engine) Line
over the side should be no problem. better than walking over it in the
cockpit or getting your feet tangled in it

I'm inclined to agree with you about the handle left in the winch. I was
taught that, but that was about Sheet winches, which are more active
winches. It has carried over on to all winches. In all honesty,Jon, I've
lost more handles in the act off inserting and removing them from the
winches. In fact, in 58 years of sailing I can't remember ever losing a
winch handle any other way. Can you? I've lost my share of them too!!

Ole Thom