Rosalie B.

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Rosalie, great information. The type of detail that allows one to begin
to figure things out.

I usually only have about a week. Driving from Vermont is likely to eat
2 to 4 days. So even if we go for two weeks, we'd need to boogy some if
we want to see Baltimore/Annapolis on the same trip. Hence the urgency.

But I will check out the spots you note and listen to other suggestions
and see if I can figure out something that works.

I could usually make it from RI where I used to live to Baltimore
where my parents lived in one day driving a car. So I think 2 days
would be plenty.

I'd make the Potomac and the upper/mid bay (Baltimore/Annapolis) into
two different trips, and I would want to have alternate plans
depending on the weather. The Potomac and the Bay can be really nasty
in bad weather.

You do not want to be driving up the Potomac against a strong NW wind.
(note - there is current in the Potomac too), nor do you want to be
going north in the bay against a north wind or south in the bay
against a south wind. You get short square waves when the wind
opposes the tide and there is a long fetch.

So you might want to drive down (you could stay at Schiebles motel for
the night) and put the boat in near there, and then go up via Mt.
Vernon to DC, stay in DC another day to sightsee and then come back
and stay in Colonial Beach and then back to the Pt. Lookout area and
drive home. That would be doable in a week with two weekends on each
end.

You could also put the boat in on the upper somewhere like Rock Hall,
and go over to Baltimore, down to Annapolis and then back to Rock
Hall. Getting to Rock Hall by car ought to be quicker than to
southern MD..

grandma Rosalie