Rosalie B.

(JAXAshby) wrote:

Rosalie, it occurs to me you write of the Chesepeake anchorages from the
perspective of someone who is thoroughly familiar with the waters, while I
wrote from the perspective of someone traveling through.

That's true, but as someone points out - we had to do it for the first
time too. We made some mistakes. We've anchored in some places for
expediency which aren't really a place anyone in their right mind
would choose to anchor. (off Cove Point, off the NAS Pax River, and
Cornfield Harbor spring to mind)

We ran badly aground in Queenstown and never got in there. We had to
enter and leave Windmill Point at high tide, which mean leaving before
dawn and following a crab pot boat out (we'd come in at about high
tide). My husband knows Bodkin Creek from many years of living there
(his brother has the family house there).

But we had charts, all of which should help someone new to the area.
And we had guidebooks to tell us the details of what the charts didn't
show. And some places are places that Bob won't go without heavy
persuasion on my part even if they've been dredged since he had a
problem there.

Deltaville ... Reedville,

I found Deltaville and Reedville problematic to get to by sailboat.

Places that ARE problematic - Smith Island (my husband was on a DNR
boat (a power boat) which ran aground in the channel there), Salt
Ponds, Windmill Point, Washington DC (due to bridge restrictions),
Queenstown and my BILs dock in Bodkin Creek (local knowledge needed in
the latter two cases). Deltaville and Reedville are not in that
group.

grandma Rosalie