Wayne.B

On 17 Oct 2004 05:23:20 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:
The 210-amp Meridian battery weighs 131 pounds. That calculates at 1.60 amps
per pound.

A 225-amp West Marine gel cell battery weighs 161 pounds, delivering only 1.39
amps per pound.

The 245-amp West Marine AGM battery weighs 158 pounds, rivaling but not
equaling the Meridian amp/pound output at 1.55 amps per pound.

The West Marine 12-volt flooded cell 8D is rated at 170 amps, and weighs 132
pounds. The equates to less than 1.29 amps per pound.

Based on your numbers, it does look like the AGMs are delivering about
25% more power per pound. Significantly better, but not exactly a
break through. More telling in my mind is that the Meridian seems to
be about the same as other AGMs which is the appropriate criteria for
judging their claims. Getting a lot more capacity in the same space
as an 8D is certainly an attractive proposition regardless of power to
weight ratios. If they'd like to send me a couple, I'd be happy to
conduct some real world life cycle testing for them. :-)