bowgus

Default inflatables help

Well that's the thing ... I did the calculation then, using formulae
scrounged from sources I no longer remember, so ... the answer I got then
was that my electric's 35 lbs thrust was about equivalent to a 1/4 hp
outboard. But I see from "user" that a 36 lbs thrust electric is equal to
about a 2.5 hp (gasoline) outboard ... which is A LOT MORE than I
calculated. And the reason I originally did the calculations was to decide
the purchase of an electric say 60 lbs or a 4 cycle outboard say 3 hp.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
bowgus wrote:

Question ... when I did my 36 lb Min Kota calculation afew years back,

the
answer I got was about 1/4 hp. Would you mind sharing your calculation

(I've
since upgraded to a 55 lb thrust)? Thanks

"user" wrote in message
I have a 9'2" Sevylor XR-86 inflatable. It is powered by a 36 lbs Minn
Kota Endura motor, about the same thrust as a 2.0 or 2.5 hp gas
engine... OK, it doesn't plane. I'm not so sure it would plane with the
maximum 3.5 hp motor. I'm not so sure I'd want to do that anyhow.

Harry Krause wrote:
jake waldman wrote:

i'd like to get a 8'-9' inflatable with a 3hp engine.
any suggestions would help.
do i go 2 stroke or 4.
it will be used for light duty.
thanks
jake

It's your choice. The small two cycle and four cycle outboards are

each
reliable, and don't burn a whole lot of fuel. With the four cycle,

you
don't have to mix oil in the gas can, and their exhausts smell

better. I
use a no-cycle outboard on my inflatable: an electric trolling motor.

Wouldn't there be a way to compare pounds of thrust? My motorguide
trolling motor produces-oh, I really don't remember-something like 65
pounds of thrust, maybe. How many pounds of thrust might a 3 hp gas
outboard produce at the prop? A similar number? Larger?

The electric trolling motor is enough to push our rubber ducky around
the harbor for a couple of hours, but if it craps out, no worry. We have
oars.

--
Email sent to is never read.