rmcinnis

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

You presumed to declare a motivation behind the article. You were wrong.

Well, I certainly don't know the circumstances behind the article, but is
sure has all the classic signs of a paid advertisement in disguise. You let
the manufacturer lead the discussion, talk only about the strong points,
don't provide any real facts or figures, include several statements that are
misleading, and don't ask any of the obvious questions the "inquiring minds"
would like to know.

This happens all the time. Many, if not all, magazines will trade an
article for either a direct payment or an agreement to run advertising, or
perhaps some other form of sponsership. I have created a new consumer
product and have been through all this. You pay the radio talk show host to
mention the product. You give Oprah one for herself, one for all her
friends, and one to give away on her show to get her to mention it. You pay
NBC big bucks to include one on their sit-com show and even write a show
that works it into the plot.

The marketing department writes "press releases" and sends them out to all
the relevant publications. We would write "articles" and send them out, and
they would get published word for word. We would even write our own
"interviews" and buy space in certain magazines.

Did your magazine actually conduct the interview, or did you just take copy
from the manufacturer? If you are really in a position to know, then I will
take it at your word. But don't be surprised if others doubt your story.

Rod