Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:41:45 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:49:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

My problem with boating and fishing mags is that they depend on the
ads for a living

Its worse than that. They also depend on the builders and dealers for
test boats since they can't afford to buy them at retail. If they
start making unfavorable comments, the supply of test boats will dry
up very quickly.

Ok - my .02¢.

Because of time ahead and just-in-time design and production cycles,
it is almost impossible to react to consumer or critical evaluations
such that a better boat can be built incorporating those reviews.
What they can do is incorporate those design ideas forward in time,
but they cannot correct design flaws backward. And that's the major
problem.

I believe there is room for honest evaluation - you just have to work
at it, make arrangements with the manufacturers and force some issues.
Then maybe we'd get better boats for less money.

If I were still in the small boat market, I would have a boat custom
built. And I know where I would build it - Blue Fin Yachts over in
Bristol, RI. That way I could incorporate the ideas (like mounting
the fire extinguisher side ways instead of up and down) and other
things that make a good boat.

If pressed, I'd steal all the good ideas from Polar boats and have one
built by Blue Fin. :)

Later,

Tom