Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:56:15 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:49:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I worked for a
year with the ARRL as a Technical Editor for their main magazine "QST"
and was the de-facto editor of "QEX" which was their heavy theory and
experimental magazine.

=============================

Interesting. Now I know where the "Short Wave Sportfishing" handle
comes from. One of the highlights of my ham career was working Doug
DeMaw on 80 CW while he was running one of his famous QRP rigs. That
was back in the early 70s when he was Tech Editor of QST.

Doug was an interesting individual - a creature of the times if you
will. Ever hear the story of the radio design that by all rights it
should never have worked? And most of the time didn't? He was a
master at it.

When Doug sent in something to QST, only the high mucky mucks were
allowed to fiddle with his articles. Us riff-raff weren't allowed to
question his musings. :)

I could tell you stories about DeMaw and the "Chicago Mafia" that ran
the league for a few years. :)

God, have I been a ham that long? Guess so. :)

All the best,

Tom

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004