Lisa Collins

For a small combination GPS/Chartplotter there is the Lowrance iFinder Pro.
This unit uses a 240V x 180H 3" screen. These are waterproof. At only
$167 you get a lot of bang for the buck. These units use proprietary
Navionics Gold, or HotMaps charts. With charts priced at $176 you will
spend more the on chart than on the GPS itself.

I have tested the Raymarine RC400. This is a portable waterproof
Chartplotter/GPS with a 3.5" Daylight viewable screen. These also use
Navionics cartography. You can find these on the street for around $540.

The Ipaq is marginally daylight viewable but alas it is not waterproof.

Lisa
www.ultimatepassage.com

Windjammer wrote:

"Jim Besse" wrote
You might want to look at the Garmin iQue 3600 running Fugawi ENC.
The downside is the iQue isn't weather proof.

I have thought about the iQue - Going the PDA route, I suppose I could add
a slot mounted GPS to my iPaq and do the same thing for a bit less money -
it
already has a good size memory expansion. I wonder though about the size
of the screen and it's visibility in sunlight - The weather proofing may
not be too big a big deal - It could be used under the dodger in wet
conditions.

Are there any larger screen units that can use Fugawi and ENC charts?

Alternatively, are there any cost effective units with proprietary charts
and reasonable screen size? We would use this mainly in Lake Ontario and
St. Lawrence River. If we went on a long trip, we would likely have paper
charts plus a laptop.