Nigel

"Sandpiper" wrote in message
The banks have 2 separate double pole switches, until now in order to
charge the domestic batteries there has been a link between the 2

negative
poles on the switched side of the switches.

Surely all that is doing is connecting the battery earth which is the

system
earth... how is a positive charge from the alternator etc able to charge
through this link.... I'm confused.

I brought a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) to replace this link, but when

came to fit it I found that it needs to connect between the 2 positives

of
the battery banks. So I plan to buy another relay (an ordinary one),

wire
it in the link currently joining the 2 banks, and then, use my VSR to
switch this relay on and off. Does that sound sensible or have I lost

the
plot.

Yes it would do the same job but I still don't get it.

Brian

I think the system has a positive earth, my only reason for suspecting this
is that that the stater motor has a negative cable going to a terminal on
the back and a positive cable connected to the side, which I think is just
connected to the casing. In general the electrical system has the appearance
of having been done by someone who knew what they were doing, so I'm
reluctant to rip it all out and start again. I'll be on board tomorrow so
I'll investigate further, in the mean time thanks again for your help