Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Dave wrote:
On 14 Oct 2004 16:42:25 -0700, (Jonathan Ganz)
said:

Bummer about
teachers and healthcare workers wanting a voice.

Voice isn't the issue. Its putting a hand in my pocket. Along with the
government employees' union, every other union, the trial lawyers, etc. etc.
etc. Something for each of them, and the other fella is gonna pay for it.

Voice is exactly the issue. The voices that BushCo listens to (no, not
the ones prevented by haldol) are from the extreme right wing,
Christain fundamentalists, and big energy companies. I would prefer to
err on the side of unions and teachers.

Special Edition, Autumn, 2004
IanSights
Issue: Whether or Not to Change Leaders

You are a shareholder in a major global enterprise. In early November
you
will be voting on various issues, including whether to renew the CEO's
contract. The CEO is controversial. Some shareholders are calling for
his
ouster while others are loyal to him. Though the shareholders' vote is
advisory to the board, they generally follow the shareholders'
directions.

Your challenge As a shareholder, you want to do what's right for the
future
of the enterprise and for your investment. Here are some issues about
the
CEO's performance:

a.. He undertook a hostile takeover based on faulty information
and
assumptions, and with no realistic plan for dealing with the conflict
after
the takeover. There is no end in sight to the hostilities. They will
likely
continue for years and are taking a high toll on both enterprises.
b.. Brand image has gone from being the highly respected three
years ago
to being mistrusted and despised by many now.
c.. The enterprise has gone from a record surplus to a record
deficit in
three years with no end in sight.
d.. He reduced prices for the richest customers, adding to the
deficit.
e.. He polarized shareholders instead of uniting them as promised.
f.. He curtailed R&D in a new technology for which your enterprise
could
have become a world leader.
g.. He awarded major contracts to cronies without competitive
bidding.
The CEO is proud of his performance and promises more of the same.
There is not a client I have had over the past 21 years that would
have kept
their CEO under such circumstances. They all have held their CEO to
higher
standards.

While it may be tempting to say, "You got us into this mess, so you
get us
out," most CEOs who have incurred major problems are replaced. They
are seen
as part of the problem. To paraphrase Albert Einstein, the significant
problems we face cannot be solved using the thinking that created
them.

You have probably surmised by now that I am writing about George
W. Bush.
You are a shareholder in the USA. The board is the Electoral
College. On
November 2, you will have the opportunity to vote on whether to renew
his
contract or replace him.

Your option Though there are other alternatives, John Kerry is the
only
candidate with a chance of unseating Bush. Kerry is not perfect (we
have
never had a perfect president and probably never will), but he offers
hope
for:

a.. Strong moral values
b.. Standing up for what he believes in
c.. Changing his mind as circumstances change
d.. A different view of terrorism and the war
e.. More global collaboration
f.. Re-establishing respect for and trust in the USA
g.. A more robust middle class
h.. A more balanced budget
I believe that Kerry is the better alternative.
Sincerely,

Ian

Ian Jacobsen
Certified Management Consultant