Morgan Ohlson

On 14 Oct 2004 10:06:15 GMT, Stephen Baker wrote:

Morgan O says:

1. What says that the main should be bigger?

Nothing really, but it has been found over many years that you are able to
"change gears" more efficiently this way. Reef main first, then drop a size of
headsail, then reef main again, then remove headsail completely, then reef main
again, then bare-pole in the least dangerous direction ;-) With a really
large jib, your first "gear change" involves removing the largest sail on the
boat.

2.Some boats have M/F-ratios of 4. That seems really stupid.

From someone who obviously has little knowledge of sailplans, why do you use
the word "stupid?" Do you really mean "I don't understand?"

;o) ...that's one wya to see it.

I have dwelled over different riggs quite a while... and the real benefit of
a Bermuda Sloop is that you get 2 high ratio sails still with a low
positioned CE.

Making a small jib you could just as well use a Bermuda Cat (no jib).

3. Is a self tacking jib a matter of importance when regarding the
M/F-ratio?

Not necessarily

I get a little tiered of those who call themselves designers and only whant
people to buy books or get stuffed...

Usenet is for debateing facts, knowledge and gossip, and to those who
don't like that, try stopping it!

But it's probably true, if everyone, always, only threw book titels at each
other it would most likely die fast enough.

Morgan O.