Terry Spragg

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 04:58:33 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote:

I empty mine by...opening the "Port / Sea" through hull valve,
closing the vent lines ball valves and then, after donning my lucky
shower cap, safety goggles, filter mask and raincoat, pressurise the
tank...

Suuuure you do, Terry...and you're always offshore at least 3 miles to
do it, too.

However, on the off-chance that you AREN'T pulling our leg, it may not
be the dumbest idea I've heard this year, but it's a contender--an
excellent way to crack a tank...or worse.

I have an old boat which came with a y-valve so the holding tank could
be bypassed. I changed that so the head always flushes into the tank.

I then put a T in the pumpout line with a bilge pump on the new branch
leading to the former dumping seacock. When over 3 miles offshore,
which is frequent for us, I just open the seacock and pump.

Shoreside pumpout works normally, holding the check valves closed in
the bilgepump.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

That's about what I do, but I pump it my way, from the top, pushing
in air insteasd of pulling out the "ballast." The head always
flushes into the tank, unless I open the port / sea valve and close
the tank vent lines, in which case, it goes overboard. One is
tempted to use a checklist. I suppose it's time to renew the
instruction books. It boils down to flipping a few switches in
sequence. It could be electrified and made automatic, even put on a
timer. Too much trouble.

The reason I wanted to do it my way was so I didn't have a pump used
for poo lying around, or dedicated to such occasional use, or
needing cleaning. Besides, I had all the stuff on hand, except for
the plastic vent line ball valves, about 15 bucks. I don't even need
clamps on the vent hoses, the pressure is so low the barbed fittings
do just fine without them. Non the less, I did install clamps, so
stuffing sneakers or whatever into spaces near the tank under the
V-berth couldn't pull anything loose.

I certainly cannot justify about a grand (Canadian) to "go" the
other way.

I do not recommend breaking your local regulations, but tidal
flushing carries much more than a little natural runoff, not only
from pulp mills, farms, and cottages, but also from millions of
fish. It's natural, even essential to the ecology, unless it's
overdone, say like in Noo Yak, or Bawston. Mind, emergencies are
emergencies, exacerbated by a local lack of facilities, indicitive
of a lack of local demand or any serious requirement to alleviate
messy situations.

I am on a mooring with my nearest niegbours a mile away, except for
about 50 cows in the shoreside pasture downstream. The saint John
river is a very large river, and we are in the tidal estuary. We
daysail, except for an annual week or two of cruising.

Who would dare suggest I was anything like the problem, well known,
of local industrial and municipal polluters? Laws must be enforced
equally, not selectively, and town and cities seem to get away with
it every time it rains hard. It would be discriminatory to chase me
and not the local mayor, knowing, even designing the undersized
systems they use to save money.

Would it be reasonable to declare an entire city unfit for
habitation because of inadequate sewers? That is the logic of it. I
cannot understand how "ethical" politicians can pass such stupid
laws. Perhaps they are hoping someone will sue, so they can justify
raising taxes?

I have a right to campaign against them and their hypocritical
"conventional wisdom." I believe we must all adopt different methods
ashore, like composting toilets, or some uncommon better ideas. This
would relieve legal pressure on boaters to defecate legally over the
side.

What the hell are national banks for, if not to finance common
defense against enemies like disease, and internal stimulation of
local industry, while improving infrastrucure, or mental health?
Who cares if the price of imported oranges might rise?

Terry K