rhys

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:52:42 -0400, DSK wrote:

"Doug Dotson" wrote:
Last time I used a crossbow, it took maybe 10 seconds to load
and shoot. Maybe he was thinking of a catapault

Nobody, including Jax, knows what Jax was really thinking of.

I was quite surprised at his claim to have visited a museum. Aren't
they "no shoes, no shirt, no service" institutions?

rhys wrote:
No, he was likely thinking of a ballista, the crossbow-like field
'artillery" piece common since the Romans.

Or an onager.

AKA the mangonel...if there's a difference I can't see it. The one I
like is the "Petraria Arcatinus", a bow-powered catapult. Combines the
best of both worlds, although I suspect pretty decent-sized backing
plates under the foredeck would be required. On the other hand, you
could use the windlass to tension the thing. Certainly would impress
the Commodore on Sailpast Day G

Now, if you could rig a mast-based trebuchet, you'd really have a
pirate deterrent, but I suspect it would only work on an unstayed rig

Might have a problem with accuracy. However, if you are attacked by
pirates who have built a protective stone wall around their boat, you'd
be all set!

That would adversely affect most powerboats with the exception of the
Magregor 26, which could use the ballast.

R.