mccaldwell

Default Pisces 17--foot braces w/ rudder control

Thanks to everyone for earlier advice on seat and bulkhead on Pisces
17. I'm going to replace bulkhead w/ 3" minicell and fix existing
seat until I figure out what I really want to do.
My new questions involve the following:
1. the best way to secure a backband to the kayak whether I use the
foam seat or wavesport seat (I'm not sure I want to drill the shell);
2. the best way to create footbraces which are secure and independent
of rudder controls. I feel like I have little control relying on the
foot rudders for bracing. I am considering using existing sliding
rudder controls, fixed in channel, as the footbrace, and attaching
rudder wires to some type of toe controls (a poor man's Prijon gas
pedal system or SmartTrack). The existing Pisces system has a 5"
channel secured to the boat that the 1"x 1/8" rudder controls slide
through; and
3. is it OK to use MEK instead of acetone to prep surface prior to
repair?
Any hints/suggestions the above will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.