Parallax

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message ...
From what I understand a flare will generally bounce off the chest of a
person. Not a good weapon. You can purchase an insert that will
accomodate a .410 shell to be used in a 25mm flaregun, but not the
cheezy plastic flare guns.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve Schwartz" wrote in message
news:yL ...
I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State, Lake
Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard. I was told by
West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they are "weapons."
Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can it shoot
regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal? Is it a danger
to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd appreciate any
info?

--
Steve

--

BF:

Huh?

If you want my opinion, a flare from a 12 guage Orion wouldn't stop
anybody. Even fired in the boat (no gasoline), it wouldn't do much as
you could quickly put it out. Now, the 25 mm flares, i dunno.
It would be very easy to make a 12 guage flare gun that could fire 410
shells. I know little about firearms but I imagine a real 12 guage
shell would jerk a lightweight flare gun out of your hands even if it
didnt blow up.