riverman

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Leslie wrote:
I ran it in my canoe at the end of August ... what a blast! I didn't know
you could actually get rollercoaster stomach in a canoe -- last wave in
Hermit! Had some interesting swims too -- that's the 4the dimension!
I'm
actually just editing pictures and video right now. What are you
paddling?

Did you actually run Lava in your canoe?

A friend of mine had a very deep swim there, and afterward
her lungs were never the same.

I usually paddle either an inflatable kayak (IK) or row a raft
(if you're asking in general). Some of my friends IKed the Canyon
with no swims, but I think they sneaked Lava.

What's the current open boat route through Lava? I haven't been down since
before the big washouts in (when was the first one which Drifter was there
for; 1994?) Before that, there was the Bubble Line run (through the V Wave)
where my friend Garret got postage stamped on the black rock, swam from his
OC, and actually went under the rock through a tunnel in the riverbed
boulders that had never had been known before (or searched out since, I
believe). After the first debris flow, I believe the main run was on the
left, and an open boater could pick a class 3+ (out of 6) line through the
pourovers and rocks. Since then, I believe the current has scoured out the
left side again making the left run too shallow, and that Lava is again
beginning to look like itsoldself, with the low-water run through the Vwave,
the high water run down the center-left side skirting the ledgehole.

But I could be wrong about all this...I was always looking at it with a
rafter's eye. My Open Boaters' eye had me washed ashore in pieces many miles
upstream already. Anyone got historical route details for open boats?

--riverman