Jim Lea

I have been sailing in Canada (40 yrs) and have had a flare pistol aboard (coast guard inspected) for the last 15 yrs. They are commonly used here.
Yes, they are a danger if pointed at a person. About lethal, I can't comment, other than to suggest that any flare launched at a person would be a very serious incident.
"Steve Schwartz" wrote in message ...
I have a little flare pistol on my boat (in New York State, Lake Ontario). I believe this is required by US Coast Guard. I was told by West Marine that we cannot take these to Canada as they are "weapons." Is this true? Can this pistol be used as a weapon? Can it shoot regular shot gun shells? Are the flare shells lethal? Is it a danger to anyone? Does anyone know anything about this? I'd appreciate any info?

--
Steve