BSCHNAUTZ

Some alternators have a stationary field coil excited by
residual magnetism. The one I disected must have been one
of those.

Doug

The rotor is a revolving field with the "cage" or claw producing north and
south magnetic fields. the "Stator" is short for "Stationary armature" and
unlike a DC generator, the field rotates inside the armature instead of the
other way around.
"Alternator" is actually a homade term for "Alternating current generator"
unless there's a make that has slipped by me, all automotive alternators are
actually 3 phase. with diodes cutting out the alternating waves to make a
directional current.